This is a five-day instructor-led course designed to provide learners with the knowledge that is needed to provide support in a service provider environment for services that are based on MPLS. These services include Cisco MPLS Traffic Engineering (Cisco MPLS TE), Layer 3 and Layer 2 MPLS virtual private networks (VPNs).
This course is part of the new SP Ops professional level career certification and will prepare and validate learner proficiency in monitoring and troubleshooting MPLS and associated technologies on the service provider core next generation networking network.
Attendees should meet the following prerequisites:
- IP networking skills and experience using Cisco IOS Software command line interface (CLI). ICND1 required.
- Operations process knowledge and ability to use NMS tools to monitor networks and network devices. SSPO required.
- Ability to implement service provider change management procedures and configuration management procedures. OFCN required.
- Understanding of and ability to identify the critical factors for availability, scalability and manageability of OSPF, IS-IS, and BGP.Self-study training in these areas may be found on the Cisco Learning Network website at https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/index.jspa?ciscoHome=true or alternatively attend a BCN course. Prior attendance of MSPRP is recommended.
- Ability to implement Cisco IOS Software and Cisco IOS XR Software configuration and monitoring commands. XRFUND and OFCN recommended.
- UNIX and/or Linux operating system experience as applied to IP network environments.
Module 1: Understanding Service Provider VPN Operation Processes
- Introducing Service Provider MPLS and MPLS VPN
- Using Service Provider MPLS Operation Processes Based on ITIL
Module 2: Change Management for MPLS and MPLS VPNs
- Identifying MPLS, MPLS VPN, and Cisco MPLS Traffic Engineering Requirements
- Adding MPLS-Enabled Routers to Service Providers Network
- Lab 2-1 Debrief
- Adding Layer 3 MPLS VPN Customers
- Lab 2-2 Debrief
- Adding Layer 2 MPLS VPN Customers
- Lab 2-3 Debrief
Module 3: Performance Management for MPLS and MPLS VPNs
- Auditing MPLS-Related Control Protocols
- Monitoring MPLS Performance
- Lab 3-1 Debrief
- Improving Availability and Resource Utilization Using Cisco MPLS TE Tunnels
- Lab 3-2 Debrief
Module 4: Fault Management for MPLS and MPLS VPNs
- Troubleshooting Core MPLS Issues
- Lab 4-1 Debrief
- Troubleshooting Layer 3 MPLS VPN Customer Connectivity Issues
- Lab 4-2 Debrief
- Troubleshooting Layer 2 MPLS VPN Customer Connectivity Issues
- Lab 4-3 Debrief
- Lab 1-1: Exploring the Lab Environment
- Lab 2-1: Adding MPLS-Enabled Routers to Service Provider Network
- Lab 2-2: Adding Layer 3 MPLS VPN Customers
- Lab 2-3: Adding Layer 2 MPLS VPN Customers
- Lab 2-4: Working with Cisco ISC Software
- Lab 3-1: Monitoring MPLS Performance for Core and Customer Connectivity
- Lab 3-2: Improving Availability and Resource Utilization using MPLS Traffic Engineering Tunnels
- Lab 4-1: Troubleshooting Core MPLS Issues
- Lab 4-2: Troubleshooting Layer 3 MPLS VPN Customer Connectivity Issues
- Lab 4-3: Troubleshooting Layer 2 MPLS VPN Customer Connectivity Issues
After you complete this course you will be able to:
- Identify the typical MPLS requirements in service provider networks; list the MPLS-based solutions; and describe the change, performance, and fault management procedures for these solutions
- Perform changes in the configuration, based on designs and implementation templates as well as Information Technology Infrastructure Library® (ITIL)-based change management processes and procedures
- Gather and interpret performance statistics for routing protocols using various tools such as show commands and Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP)-based monitoring tools
- Perform fault management for MPLS and associated services using various tools such as show commands and monitoring tools
The primary audience for this course is :
- Tier II and Tier III Support Personnel.
- Service provider network operations center (NOC) personnel.
- Service provider engineers.
- Service provider partners.
Recommended as preparation for exam(s):
- 642-780 MSPVM - Maintaining Cisco Service Provider VPNs and MPLS Networks
This course is part of the Cisco Certified Network Professional SP Operations Career Certification
Follow on Courses
The following courses are recommended for further study:
MSPQS Maintaining Cisco Service Provider Quality of Service
Cisco professional level certifications (CCNP, CCNP Wireless, CCNP Sp Operations,CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, and CCIP) are valid for three years. To recertify, pass any 642 exam that is part of the professional level curriculum or any CCIE/CCDE written exam before the certification expiration date.
Achieving or recertifying any of the certifications above automatically extends your active Associate and Professional level certification(s) up to the point of expiration of the last certification achieved.