This five-day instructor-led course teaches the features and technologies of Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 to IT professionals who have specialist skills in working with Windows Server 2003 technologies. For students with the appropriate skillset, the course facilitates accelerated learning of Windows Server 2008 and covers features and technologies up to and including Windows Server 2008 R2 Sp1.
- Either MCSA or MCSE certification in Windows Server 2003.
- OR: Experience in planning, implementing, managing, maintaining, and securing Microsoft Windows Server 2003, including Active Directory, Network Infrastructure, Terminal Services, and Internet Information Services (IIS).
- Working knowledge of networking, such as TCP/IP and Domain Name System (DNS).
- Experience in installing, configuring, and administering Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.
Module 1: Installing and Configuring WS08
- Overview of Windows Server
- Installing Windows Server 2008
- Managing Server Roles and Features
- Configuring and Managing WS08 Server Core
- Choosing a Deployment Strategy
- Deploying Windows Server 2008
Module 2: Server Management in WS08
- Managing Windows Server with Server Manager
- Managing Server Updates using WSUS
- Managing Backup and Restore by Using Windows Server Backup
- Managing Event Logs and Auditing
- Performance and Resource Management
Module 3: Configuring Networking and Network Services
- Configuring IPv6 Addressing
- Migrating from IPv4 to IPv6
- DHCP and DNS Enhancements in WS08
- Configuring and Managing Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
- Configuring Routing and Networking with WS08
Module 4: Configuring Network Policy Server and Remote Access services
- Overview of Network Policy Server
- Configuring a Network Policy Server
- Configuring Remote Access
- Managing Direct Access inWS08 R2
- Implementing Network Access Protection
- Configuring VPN Enforcement Using NAP
Module 5: Configuring and Managing Active Directory Domain Services
- Active Directory Enhancements in WS08WS08 R2
- Installing and Configuring Domain Controllers
- Configuring Read-Only Domain Controllers
- Configuring Fine-Grained Password Policies
- Managing Active Directory Objects withPowerShell
- Active Directory Database Management
Module 6: Managing Group Policy in Active Directory Domain Services
- Group Policy Enhancements in WS08
- Managing Security with Group Policy
- Managing Clients With Group Policy Preferences
Module 7: Configuring Active Directory Certificate Services
- Active Directory Certificate Services Overview
- Deploying Active Directory Certificate Services
- Managing Certificate Templates
- Managing Certificate Enrollment
- Managing Certificate Revocation
- Managing Certificate Recovery
Module 8: Configuring Active Directory Identity and Access Solutions
- Installing and Configuring AD LDS
- Installing and Configuring AD FS
- Overview of AD RMS
- Installing and Configuring AD RMS
Module 9: Installing and Configuring Remote Desktop Services
- Overview of Remote Desktop Services
- Implementing Remote App Infrastructure
- Implementing Remote Desktop Gateway
Module 10: Managing Remote Desktop Services
- Managing RD Session Host and Connection Broker
- Configuring and Managing Remote Desktop Licensing
- Managing Remote Desktop Client Connections
Module 11: Installing and Configuring Web Servers and Applications with IIS
- Managing the Web Server Role
- Configuring web Applications and Sites
- Configuring a File Transfer Protocol Server and Simple Mail Transfer Protocol Server
- Configuring Secure Websites and Servers
Module 12: Configuring Storage Technologies in WS08
- Configuring Distributed File System
- Managing Storage with File System Resource Management
- Implementing Classification Management and File Management Tasks
- Configuring Storage in Windows Server 2008
Module 13: Configuring High Availability in WS08
- Configuring Network Load Balancing
- Overview of Windows Server 2008 Failover Clusters
- Preparing for Failover Clustering
- Creating and Configuring Failover Clusters
Module 14: Configuring Virtualization in WS08
- Hyper-V Overview
- Installing and Configuring Hyper-V and Virtual Machines
- Overview of Virtualization Management
- High Availability in a Hyper-V Environment
- Implementing Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
- Install and configure Windows Server 2008.
- Manage servers with Windows Server 2008.
- Configure networking and network services.
- Install and configure Network Policy Services and remote access services.
- Configure and manage Active Directory Domain Services.
- Manage Group Policies in Active Directory Domain Services.
- Configure Active Directory Certificate Services.
- Configure Active Directory identity and access solutions.
- Install,configure and manageRemote Desktop Services.
- Install and configure web servers and applications withIIS
- Configure storage technologies in Windows Server 2008
- Configure high availability in Windows Server 2008.
- Configure virtualization in Windows Server 2008.
This course is intended for IT Professionals who wish to upgrade their existing MCSA or MCSE skills on Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 , and who also plan to take the following upgrade exams:
70-648, TS: Upgrading your MCSA on Windows Server 2003 to MCTS on Windows Server 2008 Or 70-649, TS: Upgrading your MCSE on Windows Server 2003 to MCTS on Windows Server 2008. This course will also benefit IT professionals who do not hold an MCSA or MCSE on WS03, but have extensive experience with WS03 and wish to update those skills to WS08 and WS08 R2.
- When you pass Exam 70-648: TS: Upgrading from Windows Server 2003 MCSA to, Windows Server 2008, Technology Specializations, AND Exam 70-649: TS: Upgrading Your MCSE on Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008, Technology Specialist you complete the requirements for the following certification(s):
- MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration
- MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure Configuration
- Exam 70-649 also completes the requirments for the following certification(s):
- MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Application Platform Configuration
- Exams 70-648 and 70-649 count as a credit towards the following certification(s):
- MCITP: Server Administrator
- MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
Follow on Courses
- M6433, Planning and Implementing Windows Server 2008 (GK Premier).
- M6435, Designing a Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure (GK Premier).
- M6436, Designing a Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Infrastructure and Services (GK Premier).
- M6439, Configuring and Troubleshooting Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure (GK Premier).