Learn advanced strategies, tools, and techniques for managing complex projects.
Managing a complex project means not only having fantastic project management skills, but also understanding how to deal with the chaos of today's workplace. Technology, requirements, partnerships, and competitive strategies are continually updating and transforming and a strong project manager must learn how to adapt to these changes while leading the project to successful completion. This class will help you master dealing with these complexities and lead with success.
Learn to determine the level of complexity of your project, develop tactics to manage that complexity, and discover strategies for taking your project team "to the edge of chaos" where innovation and creativity happen. Avoid being caught off guard by change, and prepare yourself with ways to optimize your team's performance and manage the unknown.
In class activities that comprise 75% of this course, you will practice determining complexity and learn how to keep your approach flexible to manage the constant adjustment of complex projects in today's workplace.
These events can be delivered exclusively for your company at our locations or yours, specifically for your delegates and your needs. The Company Events can be tailored or standard course deliveries.
- Project Management Fundamentals
- IT Project Management
- Applied Project Management
1. The Complex Project
- Systems Thinking
- Chaos and Complexity Theory
- How these relate to project management
2. Leading Complex Projects
- Skills required
- Complex project competency self-assessment
- PMI® competencies
- Start personal mastery plan
3. Fundamentals of Complexity Theory
- What is complexity?
- Types of complexity
- Fitness landscape
- Chaos as it relates to complexity theory
- Complexity theory
- Linear and non-linear systems
- Complex adaptive systems
4. Assessing Your Project Complexity
- Complex project toolkit
- Elements of project complexity
- Organization breakdown structure
- Work breakdown structure
- Use the complexity assessment tool (CAT)
- Strategies of planning and managing complex projects
5. Structuring Your Project for Success
- Selecting the right project management methodology
- How to incorporate that methodology into your current processes
6. Risk Planning and Management
- Types of risks in complex projects
- Approaches to identification
- Risk assessment and response planning
7. Leading Complex Projects
- Assess your leadership competencies
- Applying adaptive leadership to complex projects
- Communicating a vision
- Implementing strategies to encourage innovation and build a cohesive team
- Types of personal behaviors and how to get the most out of people
- Identifying techniques for leveraging complexity
- Develop Your Personal Mastery Plan
- Assess Project Complexity
- Stakeholder Analysis and Planning
- Risk Identification and Response Planning
PMI is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
- Systems thinking and project management
- Chaos theory and project management
- Skills needed to lead a complex project
- Complexity theory and how to assess your project complexity
- Right structure for complex projects
- Assessing risk for complex projects
This course is suitable for Project managers, IT project managers, project leaders, senior project managers, and program managers who have senior responsibility for high-risk, high-dollar, high-reward projects and programs.
Company Event Schedule
Looking for onsite training?
We can deliver standard or tailored courses to your requirements to be delivered as closed company events at your location or ours, whichever suits you and your employees.
Download a PDF document of the complete course description:
Leading Complex Projects